Democrat Alex Mohajer announced on Tuesday that Evolve California has endorsed his campaign for California State Senate in Orange County’s 37th Senate District in the March 5th, 2024 primary election. Evolve California is on the frontlines of building a movement to fully fund California’s public schools, which after decades of disinvestment, now rank near the bottom of all states in education funding.
“California public school students receive only half the funding as high cost of living states like New York, and many students do not have access to support staff such as guidance counselors, nurses, librarians, or social workers,” said Evolve California Executive Director Ben Grieff. “We need more reformers like Alex Mohajer in the California State Senate to move our state forward.”
By the Numbers:
- CA has the most overcrowded classrooms in the country, ranking 50th for teachers per student with 23:1. The national average is 16:1.
- Early literacy test scores in California are abysmal
- California ranks 44th in the nation in per-pupil funding.
- 49% of California students do not have access to after-school programs.
- California schools are suffering from chronic teacher shortages. California has 1 million more students than Texas, but 42,000 fewer teachers.
- 12% of California seniors drop out of high school every year, costing our economy $22 billion every year.
- Only 20.3% of low-income 9th graders in California will earn a bachelor’s degree.
“I am the beneficiary of a world-class public K-12, community college, and University of California education, which gave me everything I needed to get ahead despite coming from a working-class, immigrant family,” said Mohajer in a statement. “Protecting and investing in our public schools is personal to me, and we need real reforms to the way we fund public education.”
On top of a host of other education proposals, Mohajer has called for reforms to Proposition 13 so that corporations like Disneyland pay their fair share in property taxes, which could generate more than $14.5 billion a year to fund education all without raising taxes on homeowners or renters.
Evolve California joins a list of growing grassroots support for the Alex Mohajer for State Senate campaign ahead of the March 5th primary election, including most recently:
- Irvine Mayor Farrah Khan
- Aliso Viejo Mayor Richard Hurt
- Harvey Milk Democratic Club
- Ban Single-Use Plastics
- Run for Something
- Safer California
- OC Action
- Sunrise Movement
Our momentum is growing, and we are making the case that it’s time to send a new generation of diverse leaders into elected office who represent their communities and who will advocate for bold solutions to our most pressing issues. And we’re doing it without taking a cent of corporate PAC, developer, fossil fuels, or corporate healthcare contributions. But we need your help to keep this momentum! Join our movement by endorsing our campaign or making a contribution today! Every bit helps!